Here are some of the most noteworthy conclusions:
- Currently in Texas, there are over 3,500 adopted children in LGB families. Texas ranks fourth in the nation for LGB adoptions.
- If the Texas Legislature banned GLB foster care, considering the costs of new foster parent recruitment /training and the additional costs of institutional and congregate care facilities, Texas would have to spend an estimated $2,500,00 dollars a year to make up for these valuable, lost LGB parents.
- In the United Sates, an estimated 14,100 foster children are living with LGB parents. These children make up approximately three percent of all foster children in the U.S.
- A national ban on GLB foster care would cost the government from $87 to $130 billion dollars each year.
- Nationally, an estimated 2 million LGB people are interested in adopting. Over 50 percent of gay men and 41 percent of lesbians want to have a child.
- Same-sex couples raising adopted children are older, more educated, and have more economic resources than other adoptive parents.
Check out the William's Institute.